Manuka Honey is a special honey from New Zealand that is obtained from the flowers of the Manuka bush. This honey has a high content of antibacterial agents and is therefore often used as a home remedy for acne. But does manuka honey really help against acne?
Manuka honey for acne - what do the studies say?
There are studies that show that Manuka honey has a positive effect on acne. A 2011 study showed that Manuka honey has a stronger antibacterial effect on certain bacteria than other types of honey. A 2014 study also showed that manuka honey can reduce inflammation in acne.
However, these studies have so far only been carried out in vitro, i.e. in the test tube. Whether the effect also occurs in vivo, i.e. in the body, needs to be investigated further.
What active ingredients does Manuka honey contain?
Manuka honey contains various active ingredients that could be responsible for its antibacterial effect. These include, among other things
- Methylglyoxal (MGO): This substance is found in high concentrations in Manuka honey and has a strong antibacterial effect.
- Hydrogen peroxide: This substance also has an antibacterial effect and is formed by the bees during honey production.
- Flavonoids: These substances have an antioxidant effect and can inhibit inflammation.
How can manuka honey be used for acne?
Manuka honey can be used for acne in a number of ways. However, one should always make sure that the honey is as pure and unadulterated as possible.
- As a face mask: A Manuka honey face mask can help reduce the inflammation associated with acne. To do this, apply the honey thinly to the face and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then wash off with lukewarm water.
- As a spot treatment: Manuka honey can also be applied specifically to individual pimples or inflamed areas. To do this, apply the honey selectively and leave it on overnight.
- As an additive to facial cleansing: Manuka honey can also be used as an additive to facial cleansing. Simply put a teaspoon of honey in the palm of your hand, mix with a little water and cleanse your face with it.
Manuka honey for acne - summary
Manuka honey may have beneficial effects on acne, mainly due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. However, more studies are needed to confirm the effects of Manuka honey on acne. If you want to try Manuka honey, you should make sure that the honey is as pure and unadulterated as possible and can use it as a face mask, spot treatment or as an additive to facial cleansing.