MSM, also known as methylsulfonylmethane , is an organic sulfur compound found naturally in some foods, such as fruits, vegetables, and dairy products. It is also used as a dietary supplement to provide various health benefits, including boosting the immune system. In this article we explain how MSM supports the immune system and how it works.
What is the immune system?
The immune system is the body's defense system that protects the body from harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi and other pathogens. It's made up of various organs, cells, and proteins that work together to fight infection and disease.
How does MSM work?
MSM has several beneficial effects on the immune system, among others
- Anti-inflammatory: MSM has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body. This, in turn, can help boost the immune system, since inflammation can weaken the immune system.
- Antioxidants : MSM also has antioxidant properties that can help protect cells in the body from free radical damage. This can boost the immune system as free radicals can weaken the immune system.
- Sulfur: MSM is a source of sulfur, which is needed for the production of glutathione . Glutathione is an antioxidant that is important for strengthening the immune system.
- Immune Modulation: MSM can also modulate the activity of immune cells in the body, which can help boost the immune system.
What are the benefits of MSM for the immune system?
MSM may have several immune system benefits:
- Reducing inflammation in the body that can weaken the immune system.
- Protecting the body's cells from damage caused by free radicals, which can weaken the immune system.
- Increasing the level of glutathione in the body, which is important for strengthening the immune system.
- Supporting the activity of immune cells in the body to strengthen the immune system.
Which foods are rich in MSM?
MSM occurs naturally in some foods:
- green leafy vegetables like spinach and kale
- onions and garlic
- Red pepper
- Dairy products
MSM may support the immune system in a number of ways, including reducing inflammation, increasing glutathione levels, and supporting immune cell activity. However, it is important to note that more research is needed to understand the exact effects of MSM on the immune system. If you are considering supplementing with MSM , you should discuss it with your doctor, especially if you are already taking medication or have a chronic medical condition.