Maca is a plant native to the Peruvian Andes that has been used by local people for thousands of years as a food and medicinal product. It is also called "Peruvian ginseng" and has gained popularity worldwide in recent years, especially as a superfood.
Maca contains a variety of nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins , fiber, vitamins and minerals. It also contains special compounds such as glucosinolates and alkaloids, which are responsible for its health-promoting properties.
In this article we will focus on the effect of maca on hormone balance.
Maca and hormones
- Maca can affect the production of hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.
- It can also affect hormone receptors in the body and increase hormone activity.
- Maca can also help lower cortisol levels in the body, which can reduce stress.
- Maca may help reduce hot flashes and night sweats that are common during menopause.
- It can also relieve menstrual cramps such as cramps and pain.
- Maca can increase libido and improve sexual function.
- It can also help improve fertility, especially in men.
Maca and European health authorities
It is important to emphasize that maca cannot replace any medical treatment and that there are no specific health benefits officially confirmed by European health authorities.
Nevertheless, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has approved some health claims made about maca . Here are some examples:
- " Maca contributes to the maintenance of normal fertility in both men and women".
- ""Maca contributes to the maintenance of normal sexual function in both men and women.""
- "Maca helps reduce tiredness and fatigue."
How to consume Maca
Maca is available in various dosage forms such as powder, capsules and tablets. It can also be found in some foods, such as energy bars and chocolate.
Choosing a safe and appropriate dosage is important when considering taking maca . The recommended daily dose varies depending on age, gender and health status. It is recommended to consult a doctor or nutritionist before taking Maca .
Maca is a versatile superfood with many health benefits, especially for hormone balance. Although there are no specific health benefits that have been officially confirmed by European health authorities, there are many positive reports from people who have consumed Maca .
If you wish to consume Maca , it is important to choose a safe and appropriate dosage and seek advice from a doctor or nutritionist."