MSM or Methylsulfonylmethane is a natural sulfur used in many supplements to improve joint health and relieve pain. Although it is considered safe, certain precautions must be taken to avoid possible side effects.
Who Should Not Take MSM?
Although MSM is considered safe for most people, there are certain groups that should avoid it or consult a doctor before taking it. This includes
- Pregnant and lactating women: As there is not enough information about the safety of MSM during pregnancy and lactation, women should avoid taking MSM during this period.
- People taking blood thinners: MSM can interfere with the effects of blood thinners like warfarin and increase the risk of bleeding. Individuals taking such medications should avoid MSM or consult their doctor before taking it.
- People with kidney disease: Since MSM is eliminated through the kidneys, people with kidney disease can experience sulfur buildup in the body. These people should only take MSM under medical supervision.
- Allergy sufferers: Although MSM rarely causes allergic reactions, people who are allergic to sulfur or sulphate drugs should exercise caution.
How much MSM should be taken?
The recommended dosage of MSM varies depending on the reason for taking it and individual needs. In general, a dose of 1.5 to 6 grams per day is recommended. However, it is important to increase the dose slowly to avoid possible side effects.
What side effects are possible?
MSM is considered safe and has few side effects. The most common are
- Gastrointestinal problems such as nausea, diarrhea and flatulence. These can be avoided by taking MSM with a meal.
- Rash and itching: These are rare and usually go away on their own.
- Headaches: Some people report headaches after taking MSM . These can be reduced by drinking enough fluids.
MSM is a safe dietary supplement that has no side effects when taken properly. People who have trouble absorbing sulfur from their diet or who suffer from pain and inflammation may benefit from taking MSM . However, it is important to consult a doctor before taking it and to follow the recommended dosage to avoid possible side effects.