The dragon fruit , also called pitahaya, is a fruit obtained from the flowers of a species of cactus. There are two types of dragon fruit: red and yellow. The red variety has pink flesh and black seeds, while the yellow variety has white flesh and black seeds.
What Makes Dragon Fruit So Healthy?
- Dragon fruit is rich in vitamin C , which boosts the immune system and protects the body from disease.
- They are also a good source of fiber, which is important for healthy digestion and long-lasting energy needs.
- Dragon fruit also contains antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body and reduce the risk of diseases like cancer and heart disease.
How can I incorporate dragon fruit into my diet?
- Eat them as a snack: Slice up a dragon fruit and eat it just like that.
- Add them to smoothies: Blend a dragon fruit with other healthy ingredients like bananas, spinach, and almond milk.
- Use them in salads: dice a dragon fruit and add it to a mixed salad for an exotic touch.
How can I make sure I'm getting good quality dragon fruit?
Make sure the dragon fruit has a smooth and firm skin. If it's too soft or too brown, it may be a sign that it's overripe or its quality has been compromised. You should also make sure to wash dragon fruit thoroughly before eating.
What are the Official Health Claims for Dragon Fruit under European Laws?
- "Vitamin C contributes to the normal function of the immune system"
- "Dietary fiber contributes to the normal function of the intestine"
- "Antioxidants help protect cells from oxidative stress"