Quercetin is a flavonoid found in numerous plants. It is mainly found in onions, apples, berries and tea. Quercetin has many positive effects on our health. In this article, you will learn what quercetin is and its benefits.
What is quercetin?
Quercetin is a natural flavonoid found in many plants. It belongs to the group of polyphenols known as antioxidants . Antioxidants are important to prevent free radical damage. Free radicals are molecules that are created by various factors such as stress, UV radiation and pollution and can damage our cells.
What are the benefits of quercetin?
Quercetin has numerous positive effects on our health. Here are some of the most important:
- Anti-inflammatory: Quercetin has anti-inflammatory properties that can help treat inflammation in the body.
- Immune system : Quercetin can strengthen the immune system and increase the body's defenses.
- Heart Health: Quercetin may help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering blood pressure and improving cholesterol levels .
- Cancer Prevention: Quercetin also has anti-cancer properties and may inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- Allergies: Quercetin can help treat allergies by reducing the release of histamine in the body.
- Brain: Quercetin may also help reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Athletic Performance: Quercetin may improve athletic performance by increasing oxygen uptake and blood flow.
Quercetin and the European Health Claims Regulation
It is important to know that there are certain health claims about quercetin that have been approved by the European Union. Here are some examples:
- Quercetin helps maintain normal blood pressure.
- Quercetin helps reduce tiredness and fatigue.
- Quercetin helps protect cells from oxidative stress.
It should be noted that these statements only apply to foods and dietary supplements that contain a specific amount of quercetin .
Quercetin is a natural flavonoid with many beneficial effects on our health. It has anti-inflammatory properties, boosts the immune system, improves heart health, prevents cancer, and may help treat allergies. It may also help reduce the risk of neurodegenerative diseases and improve athletic performance. Those who want to consume more quercetin should include foods such as onions, apples, berries and tea in their diet.