Skip to content

What symptoms and causes can indicate a magnesium overdose and how is it treated?

Magnesium is an essential mineral for our body. It helps relax muscles, build bones, and regulate blood pressure and heart rhythm. However, too much magnesium can be harmful. In this article, we look at the symptoms and causes of magnesium overdose and how it can be treated.

Magnesium overdose symptoms

A magnesium overdose can cause a variety of symptoms. Some of the most common symptoms are

  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach cramps
  • fatigue
  • muscle weakness
  • palpitations
  • low blood pressure
  • shortness of breath
  • coma

Causes of magnesium overdose

Magnesium overdose occurs when the body absorbs more magnesium than it needs. Some causes of magnesium overdose are

  • Excessive intake of magnesium supplements
  • Too much magnesium in the diet
  • kidney failure
  • Overdose of magnesium-containing drugs

Treatment of magnesium overdose

If you think you've ingested too much magnesium , see a doctor right away. Treatment depends on the severity of the symptoms. Here are some of the treatment options:

  • Gastric lavage: If the overdose is recent, the doctor may perform a gastric lavage to remove the excess magnesium from the body.
  • Medications: The doctor may prescribe medications to treat the symptoms, such as: B. Medicines for nausea or to regulate the heart rhythm.
  • Hydration: If you are dehydrated due to diarrhea or vomiting, your doctor may give you fluids intravenously.

Avoiding a magnesium overdose

Here are some tips on how to avoid overdosing on magnesium :

  • Read the package inserts of supplements and medications carefully to ensure you are not consuming too much magnesium .
  • Talk to your doctor before taking any supplement or medication that contains magnesium .
  • Avoid eating large amounts of foods rich in magnesium.
  • If you have kidney problems, talk to your doctor about taking magnesium supplements.


An overdose of magnesium can lead to uncomfortable symptoms. Knowing the symptoms and their causes is important to avoid overdosing. If you think you've ingested too much magnesium , see a doctor right away. With the right treatment and precautions, you can avoid magnesium overdose.

Previous article
Vitamin B12 injection: application and effect in detail
Vitamin B12 injection: application and effect in detail

Leave a comment

Comments must be approved before appearing

* Required fields